Random thoughts, strange observations, and some useless rambling.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

First post - The E

Seems the latest trend in the family is to have your own blog. I thought it was pretty odd at first, I gave up on Facebook a year ago after only a few months, I sit in front of a computer all day at work anyway, so why a blog?
Well, I think it will work for me. We'll see...

On to the subject at hand, to test the blog waters (no Mom, not the bong water...you know I was never into drugs).

Like my Father before me, I do not have a full middle name. Just the initial "E". It's pretty unique, apparently. So unique, there are people who simply don't believe me when I tell them. Right before I graduated High School, I got called out of class to go to the office...they were sending off to get our diplomas printed and needed me to put my middle name down correctly.

"I did", I said.
"No, your full middle name"
I repeated again, "I did".
"That's just your intial. You have to put down the whole name"
Apparently this was going to take a few minutes. "The initial 'E' is my middle name. It's just the letter" I said.

After about 5 to 10 minutes of this highly intelligent conversation, it became clear that I was going to have to prove to them that my legal given name did not include an actual middle name, just the letter "E".

And it continued past that day. Driver's license, bank accounts, wives and girlfriends...probably twice a year I have had to repeat "The E is my middle name". I actually find myself giving preferrential treatment to companies whose forms only require a middle initial. I have given up on online forms that have those "* denotes required field" things and had them reject my entry because it didn't think I filled out the middle name field correctly.

Maybe one of these days I'll get Mom and Dad to write out the list of people who the "E" represents. They've told me before but I'm really bad at remembering names.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why they didn't give me a full middle name...I'd probably forget it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey baby bro, welcome to blogland!

    Do you know the story of what Sierra wanted her middle name to be when she was told she could select it (for her adoption)? She picked...Hamburger. Sierra Hamburger Alomoto Tingley..initials would be...oh no!

    Well, her middle name is now Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome son!!!! I LOVE blogging and this is fun.

    I'm sorry we have caused you all these problems because of your initial only. Maybe for your 40th birthday Dad and I could go and have you given a legal middle name. We might change your first name to Markey (like Tammy wants) and the middle name Palmer, or Benjamin, or Samuel or oh, there is one Tingley ancestor that no one claimed - Ebbeneezer (or however the hell you spell it) AND it begins with an E.

    your momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll make MY middle name "Hamburger". Or - OR, I could use something like one of my favorite "Friends" episodes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meXfh69ZLZg&feature=related

    ReplyDelete