Random thoughts, strange observations, and some useless rambling.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Lost in Translation


It's getting worse. As with any progressive disease, it seems that the whole "repeating the story" problem is only getting worse. Today I found myself telling the same person 3 times that I did not need them to order a piece of cable for an upcoming project. Our highly-intelligent leadership staff saw fit to lay off every technician in the area and just hire subcontractors to do most of the on-site work, so all of this type of stuff has to get done by other companies now.

Maybe the problem is me. I guess I expect too much out of people...you know, assuming them to have common sense and all. When I go to a nice restaurant, I don't stop on the way at Sam The Butcher and pick up a steak, then hand it to the chef to cook for me. I order their food that they provide and cook for me. When I call a taxi to take me to the airport, I don't provide the car or fill the cab up with gas for them. Usually these types of things go along with the price they charge.

So I guess I shouldn't expect that someone working in telecom sales for many many years would know that cabling companies provide their own cable, and install it too? Well, OK then shame on me. Maybe it should take 3 hours of emailing to convince the areas second-highest grossing sales person that we really don't need to special order a cable. An industry standard cable, that all cabling people usually have several thousand feet of just lying around.

Maybe it's true. Maybe common sense is slowly becoming a power for only Super Heroes.

4 comments: